Wednesday, August 11, 2010

What to Eat or Not

Do we really need to be told daily what to eat?  What's healthy, what's not.  Don't most of us know? Seriously. Everyday I read, watch or hear a story about what food is good, bad and/or evil.  It's borderline insulting. 

Most adults know what is healthy or not to eat.  If it's dripping in sauce or butter, I would venture to say most of us know not to over indulge. Have a piece of cake, not the entire cake. Have a glass of wine, not the bottle, easier said than done. Portion control is a whole different story, but don't most people over the age of, let's say seven, know what is basically healthy and to limit quantity. Have one lean burger with cheese, piled high with your favorite veggies, not two and a double fry and large soda. Let me just say right now, don't drink soda / pop.

If you suck at budgeting your time, and are forced to eat out, try to make good, healthy choices. Yes, it's hard, but it's harder to drop the extra weight you will put on.  I love to eat out and if I am starving, I will not even open the menu. Why would I want to tease myself like that.  I'm already starving, most likely a bit sleepy, irritated and craving carbs.  I don't need the baked goods, buttered salmon and sauced beans staring back at me, taunting me. (and) I don't want to the complimentary half dozen slices of warm, fresh bread with sweet butter either. Well I do, but just bring me one slice because I will eat all six and lick the butter cup.

Our public food service industry (schools: K-college; cafeterias, restaurants) don't make our lives any easier by not offering the best menu choices.  So you have to be bigger, as in control, not waistline and make your best effort to not overindulge.  If your above the age three, which you are because you are reading this, I am certain you understand overindulging: eating till you're so full you feel sick.

I'll post tomorrow about portion control because that my phat friends is key.

No comments: